Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00113-23
Salary: $78,208 – $85,497
Job Grade Level: A18
Department: Office of Economic Development
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
Summary: Under the leadership of the Director of Economic Development, the Deputy Director of Economic Development is an integral part of Providence’s Economic Development leadership. The Deputy Director is responsible for key operational, administrative, and research tasks. The director will provide logistical and operational coordination with all the Departments underneath the Economic Development umbrella (Planning; Department of Inspections and Standards; Workforce Solutions; Arts, Culture and Tourism; and other lines of effort). This position will also play a key role in supporting the director in the development and implementation of the City of Providence Economic Development plan.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports the development, implementation, and evaluation of the City of Providence’s Economic Development Plan
- Develops and maintains supportive and cohesive relationships with other local, regional and state economic development organizations to bring resources to support the achievement of City goals.
- Coordinates with Communications Director of Economic Development on messaging around key Economic Development programs
- Oversees the First Source, Small Business, and Minority and Women Owned Business Enterprise programs; and supports the Summer Youth Employment Program as needed.
- Works with the Director of Economic Development to implement staff supervision and program evaluation plans for all departments.
- Assists with planning and managing the budget process and the analysis of monthly financial reports.
- Coordinates work and activities with the Director to ensure programs and operations are following all Federal, State and local requirements .and goals.
- Prepares reports, draft policies/procedures, and makes presentations as needed.
- Prepares communications for Purchasing/Board of Contract and Supply.
- Executes program design, implementation and evaluation as funding is available.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Public Administration, Public Policy, Finance, Economics, Urban Planning, or a related field; and five (5) years of experience involving the management of people, programs, or finances in a public or private organization; or a combination of substantially equivalent education and experience.
- General knowledge of economic development and small business capacity building strategies.
- Ability to perform economic measurement and analysis.
- Demonstrated skill and ability in management and operations.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff and ensure benchmark goals are accomplished on a timely basis.
- Knowledge of planning, programming, data collection and related processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies that can assess program performance.
- Knowledge of computer software programs commonly used in office management, such as Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Other program experience with programs such as PowerBI and Tableau are desired.
- Ability to speak Spanish is preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job with attention to detail and accuracy.
Posting expires when position is filled.