Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00109-23
Salary: $64,354 – $70,342
Job Grade Level: A14
Department: Healthy Communities Office
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
The City of Providence envisions a housing crisis response system where homelessness will be preventable, brief, and non-recurring in the community. This position shall assist in the planning, coordination, and alignment of city-based supports for people in Providence experiencing homelessness or who are underhoused with relevant City Departments, the State of Rhode Island and local nonprofits. This position will help align city-based programs with future assistance from the State and Federal government while ensuring that available assistance is appropriately directed. This position shall serve to bolster and implement short-term response initiatives and participate in long-term planning to respond to the needs of the community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Establishes an inventory of city-based housing support programs (both direct and in-direct) funded through City of Providence, CDBG, Emergency Solutions Grants, HOME-ARP, American Rescue Plan Act and other allocations that may exist now or in the future.
- Advises the Mayor and senior policy staff on programmatic deliverables related to housing supports.
- Researches and advises the Mayor and senior policy staff on implementation of evidence-based practices and measurable outcomes related to housing supports.
- Proactively assesses funding opportunities and writes grant applications for projects to address identified system gaps and community needs when appropriate.
- Manage the City of Providence’s housing support response.
- Represents the City of Providence to public agencies, other community organizations, and media regarding housing and homelessness whenever necessary.
- Coordinates appropriate outreach and engagement to connect constituents to safer, healthier living arrangements through an array of homeless services, housing resources, and mental health services; and to address immediate and persistent public health and safety issues that exist.
- Establishes cross-departmental policies and procedures related to housing response that coordinates with existing or planned city partnerships and providers.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, public policy, public health or a related field; and/or five to ten (5-10) years’ work experience in a related field.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with demonstrated ability to interact professionally with colleagues and external partners.
- Acute cross-cultural awareness, with a demonstrated ability to center equity in policy-making and analysis.
- Strong project management and analytical skills demonstrated by experience or work product.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment while balancing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to exercise discretion with complex and confidential information.
- Knowledge and understanding of Federal and State funding processes and procedures.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and follow-up skills.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish preferred, but not required.
Posting expires when filled.