Thank you for your interest in becoming a Providence firefighter. The Providence Fire Department is the second largest department in the northeast and the second oldest continuously operating fire department in the United States. Our members are committed to the protection of human life and property from fires and other disasters. We are also responsible for the prevention, suppression, and investigation of fires and the provision of emergency medical services.
I am pleased to welcome new candidates to the recruitment process and look forward to continuing our traditions of providing committed and dedicated firefighters to protect and serve the City of Providence.
Best of Luck,
Steven M. Paré
Commissioner of Public Safety
Acting Fire Chief
- Must have attained the age of 18 at the start of the Training Academy. Date for next Academy has not yet been determined.
- Must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D at the start of the Training Academy.
- Must have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Must agree to informational and medical reviews.
- Completed application with the above-required documents and confirmed application fee payment.
- Pass the written examination.
- The written examination is typically held at the Rhode Island Convention Center. Dates will be posted well in advance.S
- Registration will begin at 8 a.m. and the doors to the exhibition halls will officially close at 9 a.m.
- You will be provided 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete the examination. Please note the following in preparation for the examination.
- The written examination consists of a general aptitude test and a personality inventory section.
- The Candidate Orientation Guide that includes a practice test and is designed to prepare you for the general aptitude test is listed above. There is no practice test or study material available or needed to take the personality inventory section of the test.
- APPLICANTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO TAKE THE WRITTEN TEST UNLESS THEY HAVE PAID THE $50 APPLICATION FEE, BEEN APPROVED FOR A HARDSHIP WAIVER AND FURNISHED ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO THE DIVISION OF TRAINING.
- All applicants must bring a picture ID such as a valid driver’s license or valid passport.
- Proper dress is required and you will not be admitted if you are wearing any of the following: tank top, muscle shirt, cut-off shorts, sandals, flip-flops, hat or sweatpants.
- Applicants are prohibited from bringing cell phones, Apple watches, laptops, iPads, calculators or electronic devices of any type to the test site.
- For parking and hotel accommodation information, please visit the convention center’s website at www.riconvention.com
The Providence Fire Department is the 2nd largest Fire Deparment in the Northeast. Our members are committed to the protection of human life and property from fires and other disasters.