Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00106-23
Salary: $70,936 – $77,550
Job Grade Level: A16
Department: Human Resources
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
Provides confidential, administrative support to the Chief Human Resources Officer and assists to coordinate the functions of the City’s Department of Human Resources.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinates management team activities to ensure proper follow-up, and timely completion within established deadlines.
- Maintains Outlook calendar and daily scheduling for the Chief Human Resources Officer and Deputy Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Manages and tracks incoming and outgoing correspondence on behalf of the Human Resources Department.
- Writes and edits correspondence for the CHRO’s approval.
- Updates the City of Providence’s HR web page and prepares presentations using PowerPoint or other software programs.
- Plans, organizes, prepares, and facilitates employee training programs and new employee orientation.
- Looks for opportunities to implement departmental efficiencies and process improvements. Works with HR staff to develop and implement such innovation.
- Establishes and maintains clear communication channels among the various divisions of the Human Resources Department. Encourages cross-division communication and serves as liaison as needed.
- Receives, processes, and tracks incoming Union grievances and arbitration demands, schedules arbitration hearings, and provides follow-up communication, where required.
- Develops clear and accessible communications campaigns designed to promulgate Human Resources policies, programs, and initiatives in a manner that engages, motivates, and informs the City’s diverse employee base.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in business administration, communications, human resources, organizational development, labor relations, or a related field; and three (3) years experience as an executive assistant performing diverse and complex tasks requiring a high level of skill and confidentiality; or a combination of substantially equivalent education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and calendar software commonly used in an office environment.
- Familiarity with concepts, practices, and procedures applied to the management of human resources including employee relations, hiring, and State and Federal employment and labor laws.
- Ability to establish priorities, perform multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must have excellent verbal, written communication, and oral presentation skills.
- Must have strong computer and analytical skills; must be proficient with HRIS, HRMS, ATS, and LMS.
- Ability to manage complex and sensitive personal information confidentially and with discretion.
- Ability to supervise staff.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
Posting expires when position is filled.