Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00110-23
Salary: $58,366 to $64,354
Job Grade Level: A12-A14
Department: City Council
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
The Research Analyst is a vital member of the Providence City Council’s Policy Team, reporting directly to the Senior Director of Policy. This position plays a key role in conducting thorough policy and legislative research, including data analysis, policy briefs, and reports to provide insightful information to Council Members. The Research Analyst will also collaborate with the Policy Team to shape and prioritize council policy initiatives and ensure that council members are well-informed and adequately supported at various meetings and events.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Provide comprehensive research and data analysis support to the Senior Director of Policy and Chief of Staff regarding legislative priorities of the City Council.
2. Produce accurate and timely data and research on proposed legislation to aid in informed decision-making.
3. Assist in researching and crafting proposals, position papers, and legislative summaries for senior staff and council members.
4. Conduct in-depth comparative studies of similar laws and ordinances in jurisdictions nationwide to evaluate legislative proposals.
5. Draft resolutions as requested by the Senior Director of Policy or Chief of Staff.
6. Collaborate closely with the Senior Director of Policy and the Policy Team to define and prioritize council policy initiatives.
7. Ensure that council members are well-supported by the policy team during committee meetings and public hearings.
8. Assist in creating docket briefs for committee members.
9. Create and maintain an archive of ordinances and resolutions.
10. Represent the city council at internal and external meetings and events.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Data Analysis, or a related field; or 3+ years of professional experience working in public policy, government, or legislative affairs.
2. Strong writing skills with the ability to compile and organize information in a clear and concise manner.
3. Experience in researching policy and legislation, and drafting background papers and issue briefs.
4. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced data analysis skills in Excel.
5. Internet proficiency and ability to utilize various search engines and databases for research purposes.
Interpersonal and Team Skills:
6. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with every member of the council to shape their legislative priorities.
7. Familiarity with Providence and municipal policy issues is preferred.
8. Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
Posting expires when filled.