Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00095-23
Salary: $64,354 – $70,342
Job Grade Level: A14
Department: Office of Sustainability
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Sustainability, the Sustainability Policy Associate is responsible for working with the administration, community and stakeholders to advance collective goals and strategies that help Providence become a more just and climate resilient city.
Duties & Responsibilities
- In collaboration with stakeholders and community, oversees the implementation of existing policies and programs, and develops and implements new policies and programs, that advance the City’s Climate and Sustainability goals including those articulated in the Climate Justice Plan. For example, aligning the Climate Justice Plan with other City policies and regulations, implementing resilience hubs, planning and executing a citywide youth climate program/summit, and developing policies to address cumulative health impacts from industry.
- Identifies, develops, and fosters relationships with community partners, ally organizations, policymakers, and funders and builds coalitions, especially those focused on equity and justice, on behalf of the Department of Sustainability.
- Develops metrics and/or tracking system for monitoring implementation progress of the Climate Justice Plan.
- Tracks and pursues government funding opportunities to support the work of the Office of Sustainability and the policies of the Climate Justice Plan.
- Produces RFPs and other documentation required for the development of projects and programs.
- Develops memos, public comments, fact sheets, support letters, and other tools to educate policymakers and the public on issues relevant to the City’s climate and sustainability goals.
- Engages in continued education, professional development, and learning around environmental justice in Providence and the nuances of impacted communities.
- Provides content and contributes to translation and interpretation of communications, including website, social media, newsletter, and blog posts.
- Ability to attend occasional evening and weekend meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years’ experience in community organizing, planning, public health or public policy, particularly relating to anti-racism and environmental justice; or any combination of experience and education that is substantially equivalent to the above requirements.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the intersections between the climate movement, labor, racial justice, reproductive justice, gender justice, food justice, and other movements for social justice.
- Demonstrated ability to implement authentic community engagement process, build social networks, and facilitate connections, especially with underrepresented groups.
- Experience listening to and respecting the lived experience of community members, and incorporating feedback into decision making processes.
- Experience working on system-level change from within a large organization.
- Familiarity with Providence’s and Rhode Island’s environmental policy and advocacy landscape.
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to present on findings, policies, or recommendations to elected officials, stakeholders, and City staff.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Experience with program management including program design, implementation, evaluation, and tracking.
- Demonstrates sensitivity, tact, and sound professional judgment.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
Posting expires on: