Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00077-23
Department: Mayor’s Office
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
The City of Providence is seeking a Policy Associate to join the Policy Office of Mayor Brett P. Smiley. The Policy Associate will report to the Deputy Director of Policy and is principally responsible for coordinating policy initiatives and providing high-quality, quick turnaround research and analysis in support of the Mayor’s policy agenda. The Policy Associate will also be responsible for supporting the policy department with legislative advocacy, project management, inter-departmental coordination, and representing the Policy Office as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and execute policy initiatives that support Mayor Smiley’s policy agenda under the direction of the Chief of Policy and Resiliency.
- Track and review monthly, quarterly, and annual reports from recipients of budget grants and recipients of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding.
- Coordinate with community-based nonprofit organizations, community partners, resident groups, and other government agencies and departments to advance citywide initiatives.
- Serve as a Mayor’s Office liaison to internal (i.e., department staff, boards, and commissions) and external stakeholders (i.e., nonprofit organizations, neighborhood associations, issue advocacy groups) on a project-specific basis.
- Research, develop, and draft issue-specific memos, presentations, talking points, and recommendations on areas including youth and education, housing, economic development, sustainability, efficient governance, and neighborhood quality of life.
- Track legislation at the local, state and federal level and, in collaboration with the Mayor’s senior staff, develop and execute supportive materials that advance the Mayor’s policy agenda and positions.
- Monitor (virtually or in-person) and report on relevant hearings, including legislative committees, study commissions, and issue-specific briefings.
- Staff the Mayor and/or represent the City of Providence to relevant organizations and public agencies, and at relevant events.
- Support the agenda development, facilitation, and reporting on convenings of internal and external stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree from a college/university or equivalent professional experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively and interact professionally with colleagues and external partners.
- Acute cross-cultural awareness, with a demonstrated ability to center equity in policy-making and analysis.
- Ability to identify and track key issues of concern to the City of Providence and develop initiatives to address these concerns.
- Excellent research and analytical skills, including a background understanding of data analysis, budget management, and evaluation methodology.
- Exceptional problem-solving, critical-thinking, and strategic planning skills.
- Ability to self-direct, manage multiple projects concurrently, and take initiative to execute projects successfully.
- Ability to learn quickly and be effective in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills.
- Acute attention to detail.
Posting expires when filled.