Job Type: Limited Union
Job No.: P-60-23
Department: Public Works
Posting Dates: 05/26/2023 – 06/09/2023
New employees will be compensated at a wage rate of fifteen percent (15%) below the contractual rate of pay for the period of July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2025. Wages for new employees will be increased in five percent (5%) increments annually on the anniversary of the date of hire. On June 30, 2025, new employees shall receive the full contractual rate. This rate does not apply to IT Department positions.
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
Under the supervision of up-line management performs responsible work in the installation and maintenance of all traffic directional, warning and regulatory signs and pavement markings; and related work as required.
The shift is 7:00 am to 3:30 pm Monday through Friday
Duties & Responsibilities
- Keeps all traffic signs in a clearly visible and safe manner; repairs and replaces signs and supports as needed.
- Operates line striping machines.
- Installs and maintains all traffic controls and regulating signs in conjunction with standards set by the Division of Traffic Engineering, Department of Public Works.
- Fabricates portable supports (bases) for temporary and emergency signage.
- Erects barricades cones and signs to partially or fully close streets or sidewalks.
- Posts temporary signs.
- Able to operator compressor and invertor, handheld excavation equipment and all equipment necessary to install signs and sign supports.
- Makes minor operator maintenance repairs and services equipment.
- Completes daily required paperwork.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Must be able to make minor repairs, adjustments, and perform general maintenance work on equipment.
- Must be able to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to work independently without close supervision.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State Vehicle Operator’s License; ability to operate manual shift equipment.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
- Successful completion of Work Zone Safety training within ninety (90) days of appointment, or when available.
- Must maintain a valid State Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Must maintain Work Zone Safety Certification.
The term “limited” means that the successful candidate will perform the job for an undetermined length of time. The position may or may not become permanent.