Job Type: Union
Job No.: P-59-23
Department: Water Supply Board
Posting Dates: 05/19/2023 – 06/02/2023
New employees will be compensated at a wage rate of fifteen percent (15%) below the contractual rate of pay for the period of July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2025. Wages for new employees will be increased in five percent (5%) increments annually on the anniversary of the date of hire. On June 30, 2025, new employees shall receive the full contractual rate. This rate does not apply to IT Department positions.
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
Under supervision of up-line management, is responsible for combining thorough knowledge and experience with practical techniques, tools, equipment, and materials used in carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work applicable to facilities maintenance. Receives work assignments from up-line management but performs routine tasks independently acts as lead person on a crew.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs restoration, repairs, and alterations on offices and related business facilities using various tools and equipment including, but not limited to, ladders, scaffolding, small power and hand tools, lawn and garden equipment, and painting supplies.
- Applies knowledge of general plumbing, electrical, carpentry, telephone and computer wiring for the purpose of troubleshooting problems.
- Operates and maintains HVAC systems and emergency generator.
- Works from plans, specifications, and drawings using written directions such as blueprints or through verbal instructions.
- Leads, instructs, and trains co-workers in various areas of building maintenance.
- Adheres to all Providence Water safety procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State Driver’s License and Class B, CDL, with air-brake endorsement and is responsible to maintain all vehicles maintenance logs.
- Demonstrable experience in building maintenance and repair.
- Working knowledge of industry safety standards.
- Skill in the operation and use of small power and hand tools and equipment.
- Experience in reading, interpreting, and working from plans, specifications, and blueprints as well as experience in performing these tasks through verbal instructions.
- Experience in constructing walls; installing and repairing doors and locks, windows, roofs, floor coverings; running, installing, testing, and troubleshooting telephone and computer wiring combined with the ability to tone and trace data and telephone lines.
- Ability to erect and climb internal and external scaffolding for the purpose of painting, power washing, and other general maintenance operations.
- Ability to rotate between three (3) shifts.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
- Customer Service Training.
- Sexual Harassment, Sensitivity, and Diversity Training.
- Participation in customer service training every 24 months.
- Must maintain a valid State Driver’s License and Class B, CDL, with air-brake endorsement.
The term “limited” means that the successful candidate will perform the job for an undetermined length of time. The position may or may not become permanent.