Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00073-23
Salary: $80,995.83 — $98,450.93
Job Grade Level: M-20
Department: Water Supply Board
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
Under the general oversight of the Director of Information Technology, the Network Administrator oversees the daily management and maintenance of all network switching devices that are deployed across the organization. They are responsible for ensuring uptime and availability of network switching hardware in all Providence Water locations.
*** This is not a remote position ***
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages and maintains all layer 2 and layer 3 network switching devices that are deployed throughout the organization. Plan and carry-out regular patching of all network switching devices deployed across the organization.
- Analyzes network traffic to ensure Quality of Service and uptime to all mission critical applications, services and devices. Utilize network diagnostic tools to identify and resolve network congestion or outages.
- Maintains detailed written and digital records of network diagrams across the organization.
- Manages and maintains the next-generation firewalls that are deployed within the organization.
- Provides technical guidance for junior members of the network team within the Information Technology Division.
- Prticipate in the organization’s formal change control process to guarantee the accuracy and completeness of any and all proposed changes to network baselines.
- Assist in the design, engineering and deployment of any new network segments and any associated hardware.
- Perform routine backups of network switch configurations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Currently hold a B.S. in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Security, or other relevant field. A M.S. in Computer Science or Information Technology is preferred. Real-life work experience may be considered as a substitute for education requirements.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in network administration or network hardware management or similar discipline.
- Must posses knowledge and understanding of intermediate network concepts.
- The ideal candidate will have hands-on, in-depth experience deploying, configuring, managing, hardening and troubleshooting network switches and routers, layer 2 and layer 3 protocols, as well as copper and Fiber Optic Ethernet within a small-mid sized enterprise.
- It is preferred that candidates have experience is managing next-generation firewalls, including but not limited to, developing and deploying Access Control Lists (ACL’s), Network Address Translation (NAT) rules, Web Content Filtering rules as well as log investigation.
- It is preferred that candidates have working knowledge of network management and troubleshooting tools including but not limited to WireShark, ZenMap, port scanners and TFTP servers as well as cable testers.
- Must demonstrate experience in creating and maintaining network diagrams.
- Experience in working with Industrial Control Systems will be considered a plus.
- If not already in possession, all newly hired network administrators must obtain CompTIA Network+ certification within 12 months of hire.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state driver’s license.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
Posting expires when the position is filled.