Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00039-22
Salary: $83,899 – $105,762
Job Grade Level: A20 – A23
Department: Human Resources
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
The Manager of Employee Benefits reports to the Chief Human Resources Officer, oversees the Benefits administration division of Human Resources and provides critical assistance in the strategic management of employee and retiree core benefits as well as all voluntary employee benefits for all eligible active municipal and school department employees and retirees.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Gathers and examines dense and complex financial data for purposes of strategic planning, participating in vendor renewals, assisting the CHRO in guiding and directing labor contract negotiators.
- Conducts plan audits, benefits surveys and prepares ad-hoc reporting. Compiles records and examines documents and data necessary for benefit design, strategic planning, or discovery exercises.
- Achieves financial objectives by working with benefits consultants to develop annual benefits budget and track and analyze experience on a monthly basis.
- Researches, analyzes, evaluates and prepares proposals relative to collective bargaining, provides expert consultation to lead negotiators, conducts cost analysis necessary to decision making.
- Provides expert testimony by deposition and in person on behalf of the City in all benefit-related litigation including but not limited to arbitration, federal, superior and district court, fairness hearings, and mediation.
- Maintains overall responsibility for the City’s Wellness Program. Works in conjunction with consultant, healthcare services provider and department staff to achieve the established goals and objectives of the wellness
- Leads team to respond to escalated benefit, payroll deduction, billing, and claims inquiries from employees and retirees.
- Leads projects and process improvement initiatives for the Benefits division of Human Resources in order to create efficiencies and standardize service delivery to employees.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a specialty in healthcare administration, business or public administration, finance, or a closely related field; and five years of progressively responsible management experience in health insurance administration, or a related field; or a combination of education and experience that is substantially equivalent.
- Experience overseeing a high-volume customer service delivery division to include providing coaching, support, and assistance to employees. Knowledge of self-funded and/or fully insured benefit programs.
- Knowledge of software applications used in benefits and office administration to include HRIS, Microsoft Office, and spreadsheet software necessary to the analysis of dense and complex data for operational and decision-making purposes.
- Ability to present with clarity and competency on complicated matters relating to health benefits and pharmaceutical plans.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize and manage projects.
- Experience managing and prioritizing workload and competing priorities.
- Experience managing employees ranging in technical skills and scopes of work. .
- Strong project management and organizational abilities.
Posting expires when the position is filled.