Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00070-23
Salary: $102,005 — $111,493
Job Grade Level: A24
Department: Public Property
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
Performs all functions necessary to manage, maintain and renovate the City’s public buildings and grounds including 43 schools, 11 recreation centers, and over 50 facilities housing public safety offices and operations. The position will plan, organize, direct, and review capital investments, building and grounds maintenance, energy management, durable property, and security to ensure the efficient and cost-effective management of $950M of City assets.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists the Director with creating, updating, supervising, and reviewing programs necessary to the maintenance, safety, and repair of buildings and grounds, design and construction of capital and deferred maintenance projects, to include renovation and new construction.
- Develops and implements an organizational plan to accomplish departmental objectives.
- Plans, organizes, and reviews the work of staff, to include providing or arranging for training necessary to ensure staff competency.
- Scrutinizes the work of contractors to ensure compliance with plans, standards, costs, and time.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of the City’s property management programs and makes changes or adjustments to attain measurable objectives.
- Makes recommendations to the Director, verbally and in written reports, regarding policies and operating procedures necessary to ensure the success of short and long range goals, objectives, and strategic plans.
- Reviews and monitors budgets to advise the Director on the fiscal condition of sundry departmental budgets and to make recommendations regarding funding and management.
- Confers with internal and external constituencies to gather and collate information pertinent to maintenance, equipment, and facility needs.
- Develops and implements standard operating procedures and employs strategies to meet and exceed departmental goals.
- Performs other duties as required.
- A combination of education and experience that is substantially equivalent to the following: Bachelor of Arts or Science from an accredited college or university with a major in engineering, architecture, business management or a related field, a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in decision making positions responsible for supervising staff and facilities management or construction project management.
- Knowledge of the building trades to include plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and carpentry.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and regulations related to facilities and building systems.
- Knowledge of software commonly used in office and facilities management such as Microsoft ® Office Suite and Project, and Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Experience in budget forecasting and budget administration.
- Ability to minimize costs while maximizing service delivery.
- Ability to complete a variety of projects on time and on, or below budget.
- Ability to communicate effectively and collegially, verbally and in writing, with a diverse collection of internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, supervise and review the work of staff.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
Posting expires when filled.