Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00062-23
Salary: $79,904 – $96,309
Job Grade Level: A19-A21
Department: Collectors Office
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
The Assistant City Collector reports to and assists the City Collector in the billing and collection of taxes and all monies due the City of Providence.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the collection of taxes for current and prior years.
- Supervises the receipt of revenues from all departments, offices, and agencies of City government.
- Oversees the daily operation of cash management, daily cashier settlements, and daily schedule of receipts.
- Assists in the supervision and evaluation of staff of the City Collector’s office.
- Serves as administrator for Govern Software for the City Collector’s Office including training, control of system access, and coordinating with the IT Department to develop reports and compile data as needed.
- Responsible for the supervision and processing of electronic payments from mortgage companies; online payments; adjustments and abatements in accordance with City Council resolutions, City Assessor, and court judgments; oversight of operations relative to collection agencies and attorneys; preparation and execution of tax sale; and compilation and coordination of data and reports as required.
- Assists City Collector in the daily operation of City Collector’s Office including problem resolution.
- Acts as City Collector in the absence of the City Collector and Deputy City Collector.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in business administration or accounting, or a Law Degree, or extensive experience in the City Collector’s Office.
- Some supervisory or management experience is preferred.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
Posting expires when the position is filled.