Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00027-22
Job Grade Level:
Department: Healthy Communities Office
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
Under the supervision of the Director of Senior Services or designee is responsible for transporting passengers including children, the elderly, and persons with disabilities in a safe manner and in compliance with all rules, traffic regulations, and procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Drives gasoline, diesel, or electrically powered multi-passenger vehicles to transport passengers including children, the elderly, and persons with disabilities as assigned.
- Checks the condition of the vehicle’s tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment to ensure that vehicle is in good working order.
- Complies with traffic regulations in order to operate vehicle in a safe and courteous manner; follows rules of safety in accordance with established rules, regulations, and policies.
- May assist passengers in boarding or exiting the vehicle.
- Reads maps; follows written and verbal instructions and geographic directions.
- Regulates heating, lighting, ventilation and/or air-conditioning systems to ensure passenger comfort.
- Maintains knowledge of first aid procedures.
- Keeps bus interiors clean.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Successful completion of basic first aid training and certification in CPR.
- Must successfully complete and pass a BCI check.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State Commercial Driver’s license.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule on an annual basis.
- Interpersonal skills developed through public interaction.
- Knowledge of the mechanics of gasoline and diesel-powered motors and automotive equipment.
- Knowledge of traffic rules and regulations.
- Ability to read maps; ability to follow written and verbal instructions and geographic directions.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
This position is funded through the American Rescue Plan and is subject to all federal guidelines.
Posting expires when position is filled.