Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00016-22
Salary: 42.056.16 — 45.955.98
Job Grade Level: A-6
Department: Art, Culture, Tourism
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
This position will manage administrative duties and scheduling for the City’s Department of Art Culture + Tourism (ACT) on programs produced and presented as part of the Providence Rescue Plan and in general by the office and coordinates administration to ensure that Providence’s creative economy recovery programs and general programs run smoothly and are compliant.
The successful candidate will have familiarity with Providence’s arts and cultural landscape and/or arts administration. Attention to detail and excellent customer service is a must.
It is widely stated—and supported by studies—that job candidates, especially women, are less likely to apply for a job unless they believe they meet 100% of the hiring criteria. The city’s talent acquisition goals include hiring the candidate who is best able to meet the performance objectives of the role. We, therefore, encourage persons with non-traditional skill sets and experiences to apply, even if you believe you do not meet 100% of the qualifications and hiring criteria described.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages the administration of agendas for commissions, general meetings, and any public body the department is tasked with supporting.
- Managing multiple documents for various stakeholders including contracts, W9, and other sensitive documents
- .Responsible for scheduling meetings and community engagement programs for the department
- Assist in the administrative management of Providence Rescue Plan programs
- Supports the coordination of marketing materials, keeping and updating the roster of event participants, solicitation, and outreach.
- Ability to learn and employ new computer programs such as Monday.com, Asana, Viewpoint and any new programs implemented to support the Providence Rescue Plan
- Employs Asana to create routine contracts and utilizes Excel to maintain records of department activity
- Answers department phones and provides excellent customer service.
- Additional duties at the discretion of the director.
- Supporting existing office culture
- Attending meetings to take minutes and attend to tasks when needed
A combination of experience or education \that is substantially comparable to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in arts administration, events management, communications, business, marketing, fine arts, or a related field of study; and two years of experience in a position providing events management, arts administration.
- Knowledge of commonly used office software applications for word processing, spreadsheets, email, and calendar management including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Asana, Slack, and social media platforms.
- The ability communicates verbally and in writing with the constituencies necessary to develop and run arts and cultural events.
- Strong decision-making, organizational, communication, and presentation skills
- Proven ability to identify key issues and resolve those issues in an efficient and timely manner
- Demonstrated history of taking initiative in managing complex projects and working effectively under pressure
- Demonstrated knowledge of public event planning and management.
- Ability to write concise and cogent narratives.
- Ability to work irregular hours including weekends, and under very strict deadlines weekends.
- Show initiative, flexibility, and good humor.
- Experience with complex projects.
- Passion for Providence’s arts, cultural diversity, and creativity.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Acute attention to detail
- Exemplifying excellent time management skills
- Adapting to changing and varying work cultures
- Multi-lingual – Spanish preferred
Criteria for Success:
- Good humor
- Enjoy problem-solving.
- Work independently and with the team.
- Enjoy a fast pace.
- Have a good working knowledge of Providence geography.
Posting expires when position is filled