Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00006-22
Salary: $77,955 — $85,237
Job Grade Level: A-19
Department: Public Works
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment with the City.
The Assistant Chief Engineer is responsible for independently implementing projects and programs, and for assisting the Chief Engineer and Deputy Chief Engineers with planning, organizing, directing, and supervising the full range of projects managed by the Department to include office, engineering, construction, and managerial support of traffic, sewer, storm drainage, flood management, roads, sidewalks, and other City projects and programs. This position exercises wide latitude in decision-making for projects and policy.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs, supervises and reviews work of staff engaged in essential components of the Engineering Division including the Fox Point Hurricane Barrier System.
- Performs complex design, analytical and managerial work necessary to support traffic engineering, sewer, storm drainage, roads, sidewalks, and other City projects to ensure technical competence and compliance with all applicable codes, regulations, and standards.
- Prepares requests for proposals, bid specifications, documents, and drawings; reviews bids for cost-benefit analysis and specification compliance.
- Coordinates, directs and manages projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities.
- Analyzes technology, resource needs, and market demand to plan and assess the feasibility of projects; develops applicable statistical analysis and reports from data.
- Provides technical insights and support to the Chief and Deputy Chief, and writes and implements office policy and practices necessary to achieving operational objectives.
- Supervises engineering projects independently and performed by the Engineering Division staff during planning, design and construction stages of projects, to include oversite of project funds and conformance to engineering and construction standards.
- Coordinates with and directs utility companies, the Rhode Island Department of Transportation, and other public and private entities on projects impacting the City.
- Supervises Engineering Division staff working on projects and maintenance work affecting public roads, including permitting, construction inspection, and road/sidewalk restoration inspection including during the road/sidewalk restoration warranty period and record maintenance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science Degree from an accredited College or University with a major course of study in an engineering curriculum approved by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology; and a minimum of five (5) years of related experience in a highly responsible capacity to include at least two (2) years of professional experience supervising large scale projects.
- Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of the engineering sciences.
- Extensive knowledge of the materials, methods, and techniques employed in large-scale engineering projects.
- Demonstrated ability in administering and managing large professional engineering operations in connection with design, construction, operation, and maintenance work comparable to public works activities.
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with staff, department heads, other officials, and the general public.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with inter and intra-departmental officials, consultants, and other constituencies of the City.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
- Certification as a registered professional engineer licensed to practice in the State of Rhode Island
- Experience with municipal procurement and program management.
Posting will expire when the position is filled.