Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00144-21
Salary: $81,853 – $89,478
Department: Human Resources
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
The Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Officer reports to the Director of Human Resources and is responsible for ensuring compliance with the requirements of all Federal, State, and City laws and regulations regarding equal employment opportunity for City departments.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversees Equal Employment Opportunity and/or Affirmative Action compliance programs.
- Compiles statistical data of City departments regarding gender and ethnicity of City employees.
- Participates in recruitment activities for the Police and Fire Departments.
- Works with City departments in the evaluation, revision, and/or drafting of diversity and equity, and Affirmative Action plans.
- Investigates allegations of sexual harassment and unlawful discrimination from employees based on race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender expression, genetic information, mental disability and/or physical disability.
- Receives, processes, investigates and mediates complaints of workplace harassment, sexual harassment and/or discrimination filed by City Employees.
- Maintains and disseminates non-discrimination and sexual harassment policies.
- Provides status reports for Director of Human Resources regarding EEO Complaints, investigations, and outcomes.
- Provides analytical and statistical support to the Director of Human Resources in reviewing compensation practices across City Departments.
- Evaluates data and job descriptions aligned with changes to positions and changes to rates of pay, as well as provides recommendations based on pay equity principles.
- Researches and attends training to remain current on national, state, and municipal legal developments in the administration and oversight of EEO/AA programs.
- Prepares advisories, memorandums, and trainings for the Human Resources leadership team, ensuring the department stays current on laws, policies, and proposed legislation that impacts EEO/AA programs.
- Advises on, monitors, and evaluates hiring practices across departments to ensure diversity, equity, inclusion, and Affirmative Action goals are achieved.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- BA or BS degree from an accredited college or university with at least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in an EEO/AA compliance or investigatory role, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated experience in an organization of a similar size and scope to the City of Providence.
- In-depth knowledge of national, state, and municipal EEO/AA programs.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic plans in an organization, including equity, diversity, and inclusion plans.
- Ability to condense technical and legal information and present such material tailored to employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to leverage relationships and resources in the organization to accomplish strategic and policy objectives.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to create and deliver presentations throughout the organization.
- Understanding of how data can inform the development of robust policy and goals.
- Ability to both work independently and integrate the position’s goals and objectives to the overall Human Resources leadership team.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing complex, multifaced situations while mitigating liabilities.
- Ability to handle sensitive complaint information with confidentially and discretion.
- Ability to perform all essential functions of the job.
Posting expires on: