Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00141-21
Department: Mayor’s Office
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
The Operations Project Manager, who reports to the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Adviser to the Mayor, must be an excellent project manager who thinks critically and strategically about initiatives prioritized by the Administration. Candidates must be comfortable making recommendations, producing memos and reports, and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to address issues and achieve goals
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Adviser to the Mayor by handling a full-range of administrative, research, and logistical assignments contributing to the progress of projects overseen by the Administration
- Develops and manages project documents such as requests for proposals (RFP’s), memorandums, and presentations to deliver in person, writing or other appropriate media tools
- Implements and streamlines standard operating procedures and processes to improve service delivery and capacity building
- Identifies and evaluates data, metrics, and key performance indicators to track the progress and impact of various projects and initiatives
- Supports operational teams with circumstantial challenges as needed and directed by the COO.
- Performs other related duties as required
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience gained through employment.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to present findings, policies, recommendations, and data in a clear and compelling manner to stakeholders and City staff.
- Ability to interact professionally and establish relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- Excellent project management skills demonstrated by the ability to prioritize, take initiative, proactively seek support and resource as needed.
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team and build collaborative relationships with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, appropriate judgement, and professionalism.
- Awareness of key issues, current events, and the legislative agenda related to the City of Providence.
- Ability to create and organize tracking systems as well as perform complex data analysis based on captured information.
- Ability to safeguard confidential information.
- Must be proficient in the use of office equipment, computers, and related software such as Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
- Motivation for public service and a strong sense of urgency.
- Experience in LEAN process improvement methodology.
- Certification as a Six Sigma Black Belt
- Proficiency in spreadsheet design and data analysis including, but not limited to Pivot tables, graphing, formula creation, and template design.
- Experience in writing grants, drafting requests for proposals or qualifications.
In the event of a federal or state declared emergency or disaster – or in the event of relief funding to be disbursed by FEMA or via other channels, the Chief Operating Officer will dually serve as the City’s Executive Director of Recovery Operations. In support of this shift, the Operations Project Manager would also serve as a Recovery Compliance Analyst and correspondingly be responsible for:
- Evaluating submitted project plans to ensure their compliance with funding streams and collaborating with program managers to best position or modify plans to maximize positive impact.
- Collaborating with Recovery Office staff, particularly Recovery Program Specialists and Fiscal Compliance Agents on shifts necessary during program execution to advise on ongoing compliance and the most impactful path forward.
- Supporting process hurdles experienced by the Compliance Division of the Recovery Office to mitigate delays and proactively support project timelines.
Posting expires on: